You could absolutely scale this recipe down by say a third for a 9×13 sheet cake. But really, who doesn’t want ”too much” frosting on their cake?
TMc’s Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
A rich, creamy, super-chocolaty frosting – fabulous on classic yellow cake!
- 2 sticks salted butter – softened (16 oz)
- 1.5 sticks plain full-fat cream cheese (12 oz)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened dark chocolate dutch process cocoa
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar (aka powdered or icing sugar)
- Mix your confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder with a fork – if you are adding a dry flavor enhancer, add it to this mixture
- Beat butter and cream cheese together until they start to fluff up
- Scrape down butter and cream cheese mixture, and pour in the dry mixture
- Cover your mixer, turn it on, and run it on low for 30 -45 seconds
- Uncover the mixer, scrape down the frosting, and mix with the beater until fully incorporated and whipped smooth in texture
- Taste test – decide if it needs anything else – if no, you're done!
Sometimes I add one of these – I probably would not do more than one enhancement per batch or you might overwhelm the cocoa flavor:
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp Grand Marnier (or liqueur of your choice)
- 1 tsp ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tsp espresso powder