This is based on my nut-butter cookie recipe, with adjustments to the flavoring / extract and adding coconut. I used to make these with Baker’s Angel Flake sweetened coconut, but gave them a try during the 2019 Christmas baking rotation with an unsweetened coconut. Winner, winner, cookie dinner!
TMc’s Almond-Butter Coconut Cookies
Based on my nut-butter cookie recipe with a couple small adjustments and adding some coconut.
Servings: 50 Cookies
- 16 TBSP Unsalted butter (2 sticks, softened)
- 2-1/2 cups Light brown sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/2 tsp Almond extract
- 1 tsp Coconut flavoring
- 1 Cup Almond butter (Smooth or chunky, your choice)
- 2-1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 cups Dried shredded coconut – lightly toasted (sweetened or unsweetened to taste – I prefer unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Stir flour, salt and baking soda together in a small bowl with a fork
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl
- Add nut butter, eggs, almond extract, and coconut flavoring and mix well
- Add flour mixture and mix well
- Add coconut and mix well
- Scoop out dough and place scoops flat side down on parchment paper on baking sheets
- Bake for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees until cookies are light brown (add a few minutes if you are baking 2 sheets' worth at once)
- Cool on cooling racks for at least 20 minutes
- Continue to cool for a couple of hours before sealing in a container or plastic bag
- I originally made these using sweetened shredded coconut – good, but VERY sweet indeed. This year (2019), I tried using unsweetened shredded coconut and have decided I prefer that option. The texture remains excellent, but the cookies have a more “natural” coconut and almond flavor to them now.
- Regarding the coconut, it’s entirely optional to lightly toast it first, but it does really enhance that coconutty flavor and chew in the cookie.
- My almond butter and coconut brands are very specific in this cookie – I use Barney Butter smooth almond butter (blue label, ensure it’s not the “Bare” one) and Bob’s Red Mill unsweetened shredded coconut.