Mom suggested I post this one – it’s one of the classics we learned from my late grandmother. People ask Mom for this recipe All. The. Time. So here it is – as Mom says, the beauty of it is that it’s easy to remember: 2 lbs cheese + 1 lb sausage + 1 lb salsa = 4 lbs!
Gogi’s 4-Pound Queso Dip
- 2 pounds Velveeta Original cheese loaf (cut up into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 pound Spicy pork breakfast sausage (crumbled, cooked, drained)
- 1 pound Salsa of your choice (just ensure it's a 16-ounce-ish jar)
- Crumble, brown, and drain breakfast sausage – set aside
- Cube Velveeta – set aside
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker crock with non-stick vegetable spray
- Layer the Velveeta cubes, cooked sausage crumbles, and salsa
- Cook on low for about 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so
- Turn heat down to warm setting if you have one – if not, leave on low to keep warm and melty
- Serve with your dipper(s) of choice – tortilla chips, Fritos Scoops, bread slices, whatever works for you
- This dip freezes very well – sometimes I just get a hankering for some, and I’ll make up a batch, then freeze a few 2-cup containers for later use. This is particularly handy for surprise entertaining events.
- I have also been known to mix some of this queso up with some al-dente cooked pasta (think medium elbows or shells) and serve it for supper on a night when DMc and I need some comfort food.